• question-icon

Is dry cough and snoring with stents in heart a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my husband had angioplasty for which 3 stents fixed before 14 days ago. He is having dry cough especially in night. Is it harmful and require advise from Doctors> He is snoring heavily in sleep. Does it affect stent implantation.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Snoring has no direct effect on stent.But should not be ignored.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have read your query and understand the concern.

Snoring has NO direct effect on stent implant but in some people it may cause early morning headache,high blood pressure,arrhythmia and some heart problems occasionally.

So,it is always better to be concerned rather than being ignorant.

It would be advisable to see an ENT specialist to figure out the probable causes of heavy snoring,so that further treatment option can be planned.

Dry cough might be a worrisome symptom especially in person who has just undergone angioplasty.

If coughing is severe and troublesome then it can increase the workload of heart,so it must NOT be taken lightly.

You can consult to your treating physician or cardiologist and ask him about a good cough suppressant preparation (like dextromethorphan and antihistamine combination) which can give symptomatic relief from dry coughing.

Mast cell stabilizers (montelukast) are also a good choice for dry cough.

Hope this helps.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Sandip Kabra