Is drowsiness a side effect of Buspar?

Posted on Tue, 27 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Buspar has been perscribed to me recently and it causes temporary drowziness. Is this normal? Do you personally find this drug effective for your patients?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes the drug can cause drowsiness

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. Buspirone is an anti anxiety drug. The drug is used commonly for control of symptoms of anxiety. It is common to have some sleepiness with this drug in a lot of individuals. No need to worry.

The drug is effective for anxiety symptoms, so basically used in mild form of anxiety as mono-therapy. The drug can be used as adjuvant drug along with anti anxiety drugs for severe anxiety.

Personally in my opinion the drug can prove effective for mild form of anxiety but for severe symptoms proper drugs like SSRIs are needed.

Thanks, hope this helps you please don't hesitate to ask again for more information.

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 4 hours later
What other drugs would you personslly recommend? Thank you for your kindness
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
SSRIs can be used

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

For persisting anxiety I'd have advised you to take a SSRI drug like Escitalopram or Fluoxetine or Sertraline. The SSRIs are safe drugs free of serious side effects. The drugs if taken regularly help to reduce anxiety. You can discuss about these drugs with your doctor.

Buspirone can be used on sos basis for control of anxiety symptoms.

Thanks. Still have doubts please ask again.

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 minutes later
Thank you. You are the best doctor on here snd your response time is anazing as well as your insight
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist