Is drinking and smoking dangerous for the liver?
Stay away frm alcohol and heavy meals for sometime
Your liver function tests, and stomach are disturbed...your body is unable to handle any amount of liquor presently ( as it got upset when you took liquor after a gap).
You can do the following-
1. stay away from heavy meals like, non veg, but you may take light chicken soup ( less oil), better you take light diet- curd, rice, porridge etc. for few days till your stomach recovers
2. Take more water, fruits and salads
3. take antacid like- omeprazole with domperidone empty stomach for a week
4. at present your body is unable to handle alcohol/ smoking at all....so, better you stay away from it, even once a week can disturb your gastric system for next whole week or more.
5. you should get an ultrasound abdomen to check morphology of liver and other related organs
6. you are feeling weak and restless- this can be helped with the above medicine and tablet chlordiazoxide- 10-15 mg, thrice a day. but you should not drive as it can give you sleep.
7. start a multivitamin- which has Vit. B1 ( thiamine) one a day. this will help to bring back nerves to heathy state.
Hope the reply is useful
Please ask more questions to clarify any doubts.
Dr. Manisha Gopal
Bifilac for stomach infection XXXXXXX day 10 for cholesterol coz it was 252 . A bit high . I am taking this medicine from 2 months . And I can't take beer also . Pls let me knw ? And if not then upto how much time I hve to leave all these things
4-6 months to get better, add baclofen
Your medicines are right and you should be compliant to them.
Dont worry, its just that your body is taking longer than usual to get better that you are still unable to handle even light alcohol after a long gap. This also suggest that you have to keep away form all such things ( even beer; after all it is only alcohol and not juice/ water) for about next 4-6months to let your body recover completely.
You are very young to have high cholesterol and such issues with alcohol, it means that may be there is some genetic predisposition or your lifestyle is very disturbed/ stressful from long time.
Please pay attention to your health and dont try to reintroduce alcohol or smoking soon because next relapse can take more time to show recovery. Smoking/ alcohol hinder action of medicines in body by accelerating their digestion. They redue effectiveness of medicines.So, taking them even once a week will damage the purpose and delay recovery.
If there is continious craving for alcohol then you may ask your doctor to start baclofen medicine to reduce it. This will reduce your inclination and desire to take alcohol and help you remain sober without putting much effort.
Hope this helps you.
Feel free to ask more questions for clarification.
Dr. Manisha Gopal
can I take food frm hotel and take spicy food sometime
Wen my medicine course will complte and my liver functional test report is normal den I take beer once in a week or not?
sometimes I feel dizziness for 2 minutes and feel restless. Watz the reason behind dat?
Sometimes i hv constibution problem and sometimes motion . Why so?
get USG abdomen, Blood pressure check, avoid beer
First, your body as I said previously should be given 4-6months to recover completely. After that you may try alcohol occasionally. Now, if at that time also you develop any gastric symptoms-- it means that you would have to stay sober all your life for your good health.
secondly, Doctors are humans and not God..so, we can just predict an outcime ..we cant make things happen as we wish..nor can we give a definite time frame for recovery.
I can see that you have a lifestyle in which you enjoy alcohol and smoke. Lets hope you are able to doso after giving a good rest to your system.
Thirdly, your symptom of dizziness and anxiety can be related to gastric upset...this would most probably settle with time. Do not take heavy diet or outside food or cold drinks. Get an USG abdomen if you have not got it yet.
Your doctor has allowed you to smoke (I think this is only half of what he must have said!!). You are educated enough to read about good and bad effecs of smoking on your health and decide. There is hardly any need for debate on it. If you love to smoke then- try to smoke only half ciggarette at a time and throw rest. This will reduce the consumption to 50%.
You can also take superficial puffs and avoid deeper ones- this will prevent harmful gases entering in system...and here will be less harm done.
Try these steps and see if they help you.
Get USG abdomen. And also get blood pressure checked (this might also lead to dizziness and anxiety on and off).
Wish you good health
Dr. Manisha Gopal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fatty liver happens because of smoking
- Smoking marijuana and a fatty liver
- Liver enlargment and smoking
- Can smoking cause a liver problem
- Smoke cannabis after liver resection
- Quit smoking high liver enzymes
- Liver enzymes are 300 marijuana smoking
- Will smoke weed affects cirrhosis of the liver
- Smoking pot and liver disease
- Smoking weed with enlarged liver