Is discontinuation of diet pills necessary prior to any surgery?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Why do I have to stop taking diet pills before surgery, and how long before do I stop?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop 48 hours before surgery.

Detailed Answer:
HI

It is a very common practise to keep the patient nil by mouth for most of the operation , as during anesthesia if something is there in stomach or gut patient may vomit or pass motion during operation.

Second reason is there can be interaction between you diet pills and the medicine used during Anesthesia.

Hence you need to stop your Diet pills. Preferable 48 hours before surgery.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask.

Regards.