Is discontinuation of Gabapentin advisable owing to adverse effects?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014

Psychiatrist
Question
I am my father's caregiver. He is 92 years old and has complete memory loss, presumed Alzheimer's. He has been taking Gabapentin (300mg capsules) for at least 6 years. The doctor who prescribed it originally has left town. My mother, who passed away four years ago, told me he was taking it because he kicked in bed at night. I have read the reasons for giving Gabapentin, and the possible side effects. These make me wonder if he really should be taking this drug. Specifically, listed side effects that he has experienced include memory loss and blood in urine. His current doctor has hesitated to have him stop taking it, because he doesn't know what problems it would cause. I would like another opinion about whether this drug is really helping or what the risks are in reducing and finally stopping it.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The dose can be reduced gradually.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

If he is taking 300 mg Gabapentin and he is having no problems then the drug should not be stopped considering his age. He is 92 and is taking the drug regularly since 6 years and stopping the drug might result in anxiety, restlessness, increase in pain and other withdrawal symptoms. The drug at this dose doesn't cause much side effects.

But if you want to reduce the doses then you can gradually reduce the doses over 6-12 weeks. The dose can be reduced to 100 mg two tablets in night for 3 weeks and then 100 mg in night one tablet followed by stopping the drug at 6-12 weeks. This should not cause much withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks and Take care