Is discolouration of skin indicate hematoma?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I had a anterior hip replacement in Oct last year. The implant shifted and never healed as it should have so my doc performed surgery in XXXXXXX to revised it, I developed infection in July and doc had to remove the implant and put in an antibiotic spacer this one he performed as a posterior . Two weeks ago he removed the antibiotic spacer and put another implant in using again the posterior approach. That afternoon the PT people came and we walked for a bit and I sat in the recliner. I called the CNA to come and assist me to go to the bathroom, when I was getting up from the recliner I fell on the surgical side of the hip. They took x-rays and said that everything as in tact and I did not bleed from the incision that day. The day I came home there was a small amount of blood on the bandage the next morning when we changed it out. Since then everything seems to be going fine but in between posterior and the anterior incision marks my skin is discolored with reddish brown and it has spread past the anterior mark by an inch. I am not having any fever, I don't feel tired or sick at my stomach. and it has healed up nicely and no discharge.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a healing hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
The reddish brown discoloration of the skin is suggestive of a small hematoma in the area due to the fall. There has been a soft tissue injury and a bleeding inside. The color changes indicate a healing hematoma. Since there is no pain or swelling and the wound is healing well, any infection is not likely. There is no need to worry. This skin discoloration will gradually fade away.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thank you very much. That is what I thought it was but was just concerned due the prior infection. :) Have a wonderful weekend.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.