Is dilated pancreatic duct of 2 mm a cause for concern?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: in the absense of cancer, what other conditions can cause dilated pancreatic duct (2mm)? pancreatitis? other digestive disorders? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Several conditions

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
First,2mm isn't considered to be dilated duct unless in tail of pancreas. In head and neck it is normal for main pancreatic duct to be up to 3.5mm.
In general,beside cancer,some other conditions may case obstruction and dilatation of pancreatic duct,these include chronic or acute pancreatitis,benign tumors,pancreatic pseudocysts, biliary stones impacted in pancreas. For clear diagnosis you should do ERCP. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
The ultrasound just stated: Mild prominence of the pancreatic duct measuring approximately 2mm.....does that refer to the main duct? Why do you suppose they even brought attention to that? Can hiatal hernia cause that?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound not specific for this

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I don't know why did they highlighted this when 2 mm is normal diameter. It is probably main duct since accessory ducts can't ' be seen on ultrasound. I thought this was established with ct scan. Ultrasound is a operator dependent and not sensitive for such small ducts and organs. If you have any concerns you should do ct scan. Hiatal hernia can indirectly affect it.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Thanks Dr. Romic,
Sometimes I think they are trying to alarm patients and perform unnecessary tests..I have been terrified by them flagging this and of course, it is impossible nowadays to actually speak with a doctor to put ones mind at ease.
I have always wondered if reflux or using Propranolol for blood pressure can cause this so called dilated duct?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Well, dilated pancreatic duct is one of the signs of pancreatic or bold duct tumor so doctors are always too caotious when evaluating this.. However,when such dilatation occur then there must be a tumor seen in pancreatic head. It means that some mass in pancreas should be seen. I don't think that 2mm dilatation without symptoms and jaundice is something significant but for your satisfaction you can do ct scan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar