• question-icon

Is digestive enzymes helpful in treating IBS?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: To rid my gut with ibs should I take digestive enzymes?
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ibs cant be cuted it can be controlled.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
Have gone ghrough your narration but fefore comming to treatment part initially a small idea about IBS so that you can understand things better.
Firstly small briefing for Irritable bowel syndrome and why every patient is a unique case when we deal with IBS.In IBS there is some problem in the functional ability of the gut that leads to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. The structure of the intestines is normal, only functional abnormality occurs in this condition.So frankly speaking (IBS) represents a functional disorder of gastrointestinal tract without the presence of an anatomic defect.
Recent studies by French scientists have indicated that the most important mechanisms include visceral sensitivity, abnormal gut motility and autonomous nervous system dysfunction. The interactions between these three mechanisms make bowel's function susceptible to many exogenous and endogenous factors like gastrointestinal flora, feeding and psychosocial factors.
Further data indicate that according to the above mechanisms, the influence of genetic factors and polymorphisms of human DNA in the development of IBS is equally important.

So in lay mans language till date we are not sure whats the exact cause of this problem.So the million dollar question is how to repair a system when you don't know which part of it is faulty(Some says it can be brain other says it can be hormone anxiety age etc etc).

Some patients have attacks of diarrhea and bloating and some may have constipation. Other symptoms that may be present in irritable bowel syndrome include nausea, vomiting, headache, loss of appetite, muscular pains, heartburn, and weakness. Some patients have occasional symptoms whereas others may have symptoms for a long period of time.So as seen above every patient is different.Intensity of symptoms in every patient is different as so is the response to medicines and life style change.A patient may respond good to one medication while other patient is totally unresponsive to the same.

Our goal-

Every drug is not effective in every patient so we have to try different therapies till we find the drug which suits best our patient.

Dicyclomine is an anticholinergic drug.An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells.

Mebeverine is an antispasmodic medicine and is very useful in IBS and is well tolerated by patient with minimal side effects.Mebeverine works on certain muscles in the wall of your intestines, causing them to relax.

Chlordiazepoxide works by increasing the action of GABA, a chemical messenger which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.Can be used in combination with above mentioned medicines.

Food recoomended-
Eat simple and natural home cooked food.
Avoid taking excessive fibres. A total fiber intake of about 20-25 gram per day would be good for you.
No pizza,Burger, Red meat, and dairies for few weeks.
No alcohol or smoking.

Comming to your question yes as there is overall problem with digestion taking external enzymes can be good however initially treatment depends on presenting symptoms.If loss of appetite is there external digestive emzymes should be taken.

Otherwise consider treatment as suggested above.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist