• question-icon

Is dieting advisable to loose weight?

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Diet Plans
Question: Hi I want to know about this diet that is the craze at the moment put health at the top. What is it and is it better than opti fast.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

What diet are you referring to? At any given time, there are always a number of diets that circulate in popular culture. In general, eating a sensible balanced diet is always better than a fad diet. Specific diets are appropriate if there is a particular problem, such as limiting carbohydrates if diabetic, limiting proteins if certain kidney problems, etc.

How can I help you specifically? What is it that you are hoping to gain from a specific diet?
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Its called phe@tt ( Putting Health at The Top ) 500cals a day. Do you know anything about it. Or should I go with the opti fast program.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
The average adult female needs 2000 calories per day to maintain their weight. Eating only 500 calories per day is not sustainable or healthy for long term, and for weight loss to be safe and sustained, it is not wise to reduce your caloric intake so drastically. So no, that does not sound like a good plan.

I do not recommend fad diets including Opti Fast. Any of these may help reduce weight temporarily but are not sustainable. "Yo-yoing", where weight is lost and gained repeatedly, is not healthy and is particularly hard on the liver. As I mentioned above, a sensible balanced diet is best over the long term. Reducing portion sizes, avoiding "junk" food, limiting simple carbohydrates (such as things made with refined flour like most pastas) and in particular, limiting foods with sugar, is what is best. No sodas (with or without sugar), and limit alcohol intake.

Doing this will help you lose and not go up and down in your weight. So no, I don't recommend either of the diets you asked about.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Thank you so much.

Brief Answer:
Good luck

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome.

I wrote about what NOT to eat, but I will add that it is good to eat more vegetables, as these will help fill you up, provide vitamins and minerals, provide fiber, and reduce cholesterol. Fruits in moderation are also good. Healthy oils/fats in moderation (such as adding olive oil to salads, etc) is fine too. Eating "whole foods" - i.e. are not processed much - is best for overall health too.

Good luck to you. Keeping weight down can be hard,.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh