Is diagnosis and prescription of medication by nurse practitioners an act of encroachment?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: What do you feel about the current use of nurse practitioner and physician assistant in seeing patients which include actual diagnosing and prescribing medications . Do you think it is an encroachment about the real physician who is supposed to care for those who requires accurate diagnosis an treatment? I am afraid that in the future you doctors will be replaced by them. ?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be accepted in certain conditions

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Being a Canadian, I have closely observed Canadian Healthcare.

Regarding current use of nurse practitioner and physical assistant, I feel that they can provide the very basic/preliminary medicines until the patient is waiting to see the doctor. The actual diagnosis and prescription medicines should be provided after proper evaluation by doctor. On the other hand, it is a nice opportunity for nurses and physician assistant to apply their medical knowledge to some situations that can be handled by them.

Nurses and physician assistants do not encroach on a physician. Rather they are there to assist him in his work. If they are well trained, they will always refer a complicated case to physician for further evaluation.

They cannot replace physicians because the type of work that physicians can do, others cannot.
Yes, I strongly feel that more doctors are trained and introduced into system.

Hope it helps.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj