Is depression normal after diagnosis of Lyme's disease?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 15 Oct 2018 in Mental Health
Question: This may seem like a bizarre question and I even hesitate to ask. I am a XXXXXXX citizen with health issues, nothing critical, but very debilitating. My primary care physician (internist) for the past 26 years retired. His announcement letter got lost in the mail and I received it one week before he left so I didn't have time to absorb it before my last appointment a couple of days before his departure. My introduction to him 26 yrs ago was a referral as for the prior 1-1/2 yrs I was sick but no specialists could diagnose anything. It turned out to be Lyme Disease and it was very emotional for me. He cured me of it but was left with clinical depression. I was devastated when I received the news of his retirement and have cried over it off and on for a week. He is a fine doctor and I always had utmost faith in him. He just called to go over my last tests and I was my cheery self but when I hung I had a good cry. My question - am I over the top with this?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Consultation

Detailed Answer:

This is not a bizarre at all. I think this is a normal reaction. It is a grief reaction which is characterized by feelings of sadness and loss and should subside over several weeks as you adjust to the news.

If your sleep, energy, and appetite are essentially normal, this is likely not a major depressive episode.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
I've had a lot of losses this past year or so and I thought this is another loss, but I feel as though a loved member of my family died. I always called him "my main man" because he took care of the majority of my medical needs except where a specialist was needed. It's kind of like abandonment.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Followup

Detailed Answer:

Makes sense. I hope with time you will feel better.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Alexander H. Sheppe, Psychiatrist