Is delaying 3rd dose of PCV-13 shots for 15 days safe?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: I have given 2 dose of PCV-13 injection to my daughter when she was 10 and 14 weeks old.

Her 3rd dose is due on Sep 19, 2016(18 weeks), but during this time my wife and daughter will be in different location and planning to come back only in October first week. It would be difficult to get this injection where they are going to stay and also we need to find a new doctor for her.

My question is whether it is ok to defer this injection till October 1st week or is it mandatory to give it when she is 18 weeks old i, e on Sep 19th, 2016.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be deferred.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. It is ok to defer the vaccination but not to bring the date ahead. No issues if the date is deferred till first week of October. Be sure to maintain the same gap for future doses of the same vaccine that she receives then.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Thanks for the answer.

As mentioned above, PCV-13(Prevenar 13) last and the 3rd dose is due on Sep 19th, 2016 which I am planning to give in first week of October, 2016. After this the PCV booster dose has to be given between 16 to 18 months as per the schedule.

Also, as per vaccination card, I am suppose to give her OPV and Hep-B3 when she is 6 months. Should I postpone this as well if I am giving her PCV in 1st week of October? She will be 20 weeks in October 1st week.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can defer all the three vaccines

Detailed Answer:
I think it would be better to defer all the three vaccines and to shift the subsequent dates in likewise manner.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar