Is delayed period symptom of pregnancy?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 30 Jun 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I had intercourse with my boyfriend in April 25-28th. Sometimes around May 9th-14th, I had my period but it was really light and lasted for 3 days( my normal period lasts around 5 days). I had some spottings on May 15th, after that I started to have some crampings, back hurt, and dizziness. Had a few pregnancy tests at home but it came back negative. I'm so tired and don't have any energy to do anything. Also I have been feeling sleepy all the time, my boobs hurt a lot and have some discharges, and more crampings today( I barely have cramping or any of those symptoms with my periods before). I took a pregnancy test again today XXXXXXX 9th, and still negative. My period is supposed to come today. Now I'm confusing. I don't know if I tested too early or is this just something wrong with me. Please let's me know if you think there is a possibility that I might be pregnant or not. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cyclical hormonal variation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

1. You are not pregnant.

2. These symptoms you are experiencing is due to minor hormonal changes occurring once in a while. Nothing to worry about.

3. That is the reason for slight variation in time and duration of menstrual bleeding.

Let me know if you have any more questions. .

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T