Is delayed menstruation after delivery a symptom of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: my wife just had a baby 12-24-2015 her period came on time for January and Feb it did not come for march should is she pregnant or is it just irregular
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to pregnancy or lactation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The absence of periods in March can be due to breast feeding or can be due to pregnancy. A hormonal imbalance is less likely but needs to be ruled out. It is best to test her urine for pregnancy and rule out pregnancy first. In case the test is negative then there is no need to worry as the breast feeding can cause such delay in periods. But you need to use a contraceptive to avoid pregnancy.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal