Is delayed menstruation a sign of pregnancy?
I have a question regarding pregnancy of my wife , we recently got married .
and we had unprotected sex only once else its protected , now she is missing her periods by around 5 days
what is the possibility that she is pregnant , or its just normal to miss it by a weeks time , how long we can wait for pregnancy test to be done , like after so an so days its sure that we are expecting our baby .
Do home pregnancy test at the earliest.
Thanks for writing to us. Following are my comments:
1) You should know that woman may get pregnant (more than 20% chance in single cycle) by involving in unprotected sex during her ovulation day or fertile days. Missing of regular period is the first clinical sign of pregnancy. Therefore, I suggest her to undergo one home pregnancy test at the earliest with morning urine sample (preferably). Review with test report.
2) Some other reasons for delayed period are ovarian cyst, stress or anxiety, emotional upset, hormonal imbalance, irregular diet habit, hypothyroidism, psychological factor, overweight or sudden weight loss etc.
Some basic investigations like ultrasound scan and hormonal profile may need to carry out to identify underlying pathology if her period delays more than 10 days with NEGATIVE test.
Hope I have answered your query. Wish your good health and take care.
For future query, you can directly approach me through
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can an overdose of aspirin delay menstruation and pregnancy
- Max delay in menstruation before pregnancy
- Delay menstruation for 2 months but in pregnancy test kit negative
- Is pregnancy possible during menstruation
- Can delayed menstruation be symptom of pregnancy
- Could it be pregnancy or stress delaying the menstruation
- Menstruation during pregnancy
- Menstruation and pregnancy
- Bright red menstruation and pregnancy
- Causes of delayed menstruation aside from pregnancy