Is delay in teeth eruption for a toddler normal?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: my 17 month old daughter only has 2 bottom teeth but her top gums are bumpy but her teeth still are not breaking threw. she got her first 2 teeth at about 13 14 months. is this normal or should I have concerns?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing seems abnormal as of now..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain as your child has two bottom teeth erupted at about 13 to 14 months although the lower front milk teeth erupt by the age of about 6 to 10 months of age, this shows that she is having delayed eruption.
Delay of a few months is not considered as very much abnormal..

Similarly, the upper front teeth erupt by the age of 8 to 12 months and as she is having bumpy top gums it means that the milk teeth have perforated through the jaw bone and are under the gums which is a good sign..
You should not panic and wait for atleast one month more and the chances are most probable that the teeth will erupt..

If your daughter is otherwise healthy, active,growing well and feeds well you need not to worry as there seems nothing serious..

If you have any further questions, you are most welcome and I will be happy to help..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad