Is dark yellow urine indicative of liver disease in a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 4+ months old boy is passing dark yellow urine in morning after waking up and then urine color changes to pale yellow/colorless and then after 2(approx) hours sleep in afternoon(no urination during sleeping) again passing dark yellow urine and then again it changes to pale yellow/colorless.
Is it normal or its a sign of serious problem in liver, etc?

Urine frequency is 10/12 time per day. Avg intake of formula+ Breastmilk is normally 600/650 ml a day.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on high coloured urine

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. This is quite common. You need to worry. Only when the urine is very high coloured and consistently like that all through the day or if the diapers are being stained by yellowish discoloration or if his eyes are yellow. But if you are still in doubt I suggest you get a serum bilirubin done and get back to me with the report or kindly consult your regular pediatrician.

But as of now I do not see any reason for you to worry.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth