Is dark black stool a symptom of kidney infection?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: what does it mean when your stool is so dark almost black. I think I had one day this week which was a normal color brown. 2 weeks ago I started taking a powder for a shake in the morning to get me going. it really works I Love it. also I have I started get this smell from by vagina which I have never had a problem in 45 . I'm 64 now My thought is that since drinking this shake with my vitamins is it cleansing me or what? Could I have Kidney infection. I feel great other then aches and inflation(joint) suff cause of the weather changes
I take calcium
vit D
vit B
and the shake packed with vitamins and minerals with OJ or MILK. my wellness exam apt is for July 13.
thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some information:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Dark stools are concerning when they are black and tarry looking, because that can mean there is bleeding in the upper digestive tract. The stomach acid changes blood to a black tarry appearance.

However, there are food and supplement items that can make stools look dark or black too. Things that have iron in them, or tannins can do this. Can you tell me the name of your supplement and what is in it? Or just the name of the supplement - I may be able to look up the ingredients on-line.

Regarding the vaginal odor, if it started after starting the shake, there may be a correlation. Otherwise, other things can do this such as yeast overgrowth (usually smells yeasty) or bacterial vaginosis (which can smell like fish, especially when washing with soap).