Is cuts on vagina is an indicative of herpes or fungal infection?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello. I am freaking out. I have been with the same partner for 2 years until recently. Over two weeks ago my new partner started to not use a condom once... when I thought he had one on so we stopped almost immediately because he did not have one on. I have a small cut on the top of my vagina area right at the top of the "V" where my vagina starts. I swore that last friday I cut myself shaving. I thought nothing more of it. Five days ago, I had spotting and brown discharge... it was about a week after my period. This has never happened before but I had put my Nuva Ring in a day early so I figured this could be the cause. Because I had never spotted or had brown discharge, I went to the doctor. We decided to do a pregnancy test to ease my mind... it came up negative. I went home and there was no more spotting for a few days. Then I noticed that the little cut was still there. I don't know if it was mental but as soon as I noticed it, it became irritated and a bit itchy. Of course I googled it and herpes came up as a symptom of having paper cuts. So I went back to the doctor the next day. He figured I had a yeast infection because I have been on amoxicillan, bioxin and currently a heavy dosage of Clarithromycin to treat strep throat that won't go away. I also had him do a pap test and a swab because I have been freaking out. When I look up small cuts online, herpes comes up... however; I have not experienced any of the other symptoms and the brown discharge I experienced was not smelly. I have to wait TEN days until the results come back and i am literally going out of my mind. Every time I search "cut on vagina", herpes comes up and I am terrified. I would really appreciate your opinion. I asked my doctor and he said he thinks it is a yeast infection or fungal infection from the antibiotics but I have had two yeast infections in the past and never noticed any "cuts". I also asked him if I should avoid having sex until my results are back and he said "no that isn't necessary". Please give me your opinion :(
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: YEAST MORE LIKELY, UPLOAD PICTURE. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Could you upload a picture of the ' cut ' so that I can opine better ? It would help me to guide you better, if you can do so. Given the history ( heavy antibiotic use , past history of yeast infection , having had a diagnosis of yeast infection by a doctor ) - I would strongly say that you are having a yeast infection, and it is not herpes. As you already know, only the test would tell you 100 % for sure, and I can only offer a possible diagnosis. Yeast seems likely, given that it is itchy too. Have you had any prescription from your doctor for the fungal infection ? You could start the antifungal medication,and if it IS yeast, it would most certainly respond and get better within a few days. Other than that, only waiting it out for the test would definitely rule out herpes. Of course, a picture uploaded would help too. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 16 minutes later
I do not feel comfortable sending the picture online. I just looked at it now. It is not bloody or scabby.. just a tinny slit in the skin, half an inch. I was told by the doctor to get the over-the-counter creme Clotrimaderm. In the past, cremes have not worked to cure my yeast infections and my usual doctor has had to give me oral meds. But the doctor I saw said to start by trying the creme. I have been using it for 3 days now... just once a day before bed and the cut is still there. I am not itchy where the cut is and the cut doesn't hurt to touch or at all (at the top of my genital area where the "V" starts... just where it starts from normal skin to pinky skin) I am more itchy down further near my vagina. It also does not sting or burn to pee. Should the creme have worked already if it were a Yeast infection? My plan is to call the doctor Monday and ask for a oral medication?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello If it were a yeast infection, yes, the cream should have shown improvement in the cut by now, if not total disappearance of the cut. But as you have not responded to creams in the past, you could be requiring oral antifungals to clear the infection. I have gone through the picture you provided - looks like a yeast infection and hence abrasion to me. Also, could be a small cut due to the shaving, which you mentioned. Keep using the Clotrimaderm, only use it more frequently ( 3 - 4 times a day ). use it for a week more, by the time your result would be in hand. If the result is negative and the cut is still persisting, try oral meds too. All the best.