Is cranberry supplement powder effective in treating enlarged prostate?
Hi and thanks for your question.
Cranberry power, juice and pills are often used for people with recurrent bladder infections. There is some evidence they cranberry can reduce the incidence of urinary tract infections but no evidence that it will help with prostate problems.
If you want to use a supplement saw palmetto is the only supplement that is known to help with prostate problems and increase urinary flow.
I would try the saw palmetto and if you are prone to infections you could use the cranberry as well. It certainly will not hurt anything.
If you have to use a pharmaceutical then there are many classes of drugs that may be helpful, just make sure you and your doctor know which ones you are allergic too.
Hopefully the saw palmetto will work and you will not need pharmaceuticals.
Saw Palmetto is the only alternative medicine that has good evidence that it may improve prostate function. If that did not work after a 3-4 month trial then it is best that you find a pharmaceutical that you are not allergic to.
It may be possible that if you find a good Chinese medicine practitioner that a combination of acupuncture and herbs may be helpful. However, that has not been studied in the Western Medicine literature.
I hope you get results soon.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Prostate treatments for enlarged prostate
- Chewing tabacco effect on enlarge prostate
- Will proscar treat enlarged prostate ?
- Can enlarged prostate effect leg pain
- Enlarged prostate and prostate cancer
- Enlarged prostate and prostate surgery
- Drugs to treat enlarged prostate
- Enlarged prostate burning eyes
- Surgery enlarged prostate side effects
- Prostate operations for enlarged prostate