Is coughing of blood a cause for concern?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been sick since March 24, started with a soar throat that developed into a really bad cold with continued soar throat, congestion, heavy coughing and exhaustion. Had to make a coast to coast business 3/29-31 trip. Overall, I feel like I'm getting better but the coughing has been painful and in the last 2 days, I have been cough up fresh blood. ?Should I wait a little to see if I get better or search a visit with my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you have a fever or difficulties breathing?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this illness that you have reported. Overall, i think you are improving and there might be no urgent need to see a doctor at this time. However, I will like to know whether you have any fever or breathing difficulties. If you don't, probably forceful coughing is responsible for the blood you have reported. I will say, if blood is all and no other symptom, avoid coughing forcefully and monitor again before seeking any further medical intervention. Keep me updated within 48hours for more insights and guidance.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.