Is coughing and gastritis symptoms of HIV infection?

Posted on Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi, Are coughing and gastritis, symptoms of HIV infection?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Cough,Gastritis occur with many diseases and inHIV Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. I really don't know what made you to ask this question. I would like to know your past sexual activities, if the problem is for you. As everybody knows cough and Gastritis are very common symptom or problem in all walks of life from children to old age. Cough is a manifestation of many diseases of respiratory (both upper and lower) system. Sometimes even a drug also can cause an unwanted cough as a side effect. Similarly Gastritis also may a spontaneous one and/or drug induced one. Of course in HIV disease also one can have cough due to some opportunistic infection of respiratory system ( as a typical or atypical Mycobacterial (Tuberculosis) infections and pneumonia etc) when the CD4 count (low immunity) goes down. Gastritis can occur with so many medications during treatment in HIV. But cough and Gastritis are not specific or indicative of HIV. Only with other investigations only, one can point out the cough and Gastritis are having any relation to underlying HIV disease or not. Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist