• question-icon

Is continued usage of Benztropine, Oxycodone and Trazodone advisable?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Mental Health
Question: My daughter is taking

ativan 0.5mg tid
baclofen 20mg,bid
benztropine 1mg bid
gabipentin 300mg tid
oxycodone 20 mg tid
trazodone 50 mg hs
She can hardly function. She was in a car accident in September, and I believe she is dependent on the oxycodone. Should a physician be continuing to prescribe these drugs?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If she is not able to function properly then the drug should be continued.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

If she was in accident then they have prescribed her Oxycodone probably for control of her pain. Oxycodone is an opioid drug and the drug has high dependence potential. If her pain is persistent and she is not able to function properly then she should continue to take Oxycodone. But if her pain is controlled then her physician should reduce the dose of Oxycodone gradually so that smooth tapering can be done. Gabapentin and Baclofen both will reduce the pain and will help in reducing the dose of Oxycodone.

So you can talk with her physician for repeat prescription if she is not able to function properly. No need to worry.

Thanks and Take care

You are welcome to ask followup doubts.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist