question-icon

Is consumption of protein powders harmful to kidneys?

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: I am taking 20gms protein by protein powder whey after zym and 25 gms cassein powder at night
My weight 83kg and 33 yea
Is it safe to take or harm for kidney

Answered by Dr. Heera Lal Poonia (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
take natural proteins

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, welcome to HCM and thanks for choosing us.

I share your concerns about kidney damage and protein intake. At your age a healthy person requires 60 to 70 mg of proteins. If you consume more than that it is likely to cause obesity and interference in kidneys functioning. So if your overall protein intake is within this limit, no need to worry about it.

However as a practising doctor I would advise you to take natural proteins like pulses, milk and milk products, eggs and meat. Natural proteins are always better than powdered products. Powdered products contain preservatives, high concentration of protein which can harm the health.

I hope my reply will help you. Please write to us for follow up queries. I wish you good health and good body. Kindly rate this reply. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Heera Lal Poonia