question-icon

Is constipation a symptom of roundworm infection?

Posted on Mon, 7 Dec 2015
Question: My daughter has roundworms, she tool ablenza on thursday it is now three days later, I was told I would see adult worms dead in her stool...still I have not seen anything. Should I expect to see worms? How do I know they are dead? Additionally she has suffered what I thought was chronic constipation for 2 years, could this have been from roundworms? Im worried there may be a blockage.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Worms can cause constipation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam .

I can certainly understand your concerns.

I apologize for the delayed response owing to my work schedule.

I have worked through your query in detail.

The possibility of constipation related to worms is high.

You can quite easily identify the dead worms in stool.Such worms are largely immobile.

It's important that you get an ultrasound of the abdomen to rule out any obstruction due to worms.

You can expect worms in stool in the first week.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.

Dr. Suresh Heijebu