Is constant hiccups after breastfeeding normal in a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hello
My Baby Girl is born on 16th December.
She hiccups post breastfeed. Is that normal and how to reduce it.
Also what are the precautions to be taken for feeding a baby safely so that there is no Aphyxation
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a normal phenomena please don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... in a healthy baby who is feelding well hiccups after breastfeeding is a normal phenomenon. It is completely physiological. please do not worry about it at all, it does not require any treatment.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 8 minutes later
Thanks Dr. The Bilirubin for my newborn went up to 10. However she looks much WHITE now and very less yellow. How do i monitor Bilirubin . She is just 15 days old.
Doctor here has adviced some sunlight and given 1Ml per day Vitamin D Drops.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As the baby is getting better you don't need to do any test

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern. There are 2 ways of monitoring a baby with increased bilirubin.

1. Going to a pediatrician and let him assess the baby clinically whether it is getting better or not. If the pediatrician feels the bilirubin levels are coming down and the baby is improving you need not do any test at all.

2. Doing get serum bilirubin test and finding out whether the billirubin is really coming down or not.

But as a pediatrician I speak for the baby and if the parent himself/ herself is feeling that the baby is becoming whiter and improving, I do not think there is any need to unnecessarily prick the child and monitor the serum bilirubin levels by doing a blood test.

Your pediatrician is absolutely right in prescribing vitamin D drops please continue them as per his advice.

He was right in asking you to show the baby in sunlight also as the ultraviolet rays in the sunlight will help in reducing the serum bilirubin levels.

I wish your kid a bright future. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.

Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely.

Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth