• question-icon

Is conception possible at the age of 50?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: I am 50 years old and I have not had a period for 10 months and I have of course been going through the menopause process. I had intercourse using the pull out method and want to know the chances of pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are very unlikely to conceive

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic,

A woman is considered infertile only if she has been going through menopause for at least 12 months.Since you have not had any period for 10 months the chances of pregnancy is highly unlikely.

The chances of conceiving naturally for women in their 50s is only less than 1%.

Please be advised to use some other form of contraception like a condom for the next 2-3 months, so that you have crossed the fertility mark for sure.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal