Is complete cure of rosacea possible?

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 4 Apr 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Good evening, I have a couple of questions about rosacea acne: 1. Is it possible to cure it completely or treatments allow only to control the symptoms? 2. I have similar ulcers to the ones which are on the face on other parts of the body (they are singular, just one or two at a time, but on any possible part of the body). Can it be rosacea as well or it is something else? 3. How to protect the eyes from this disease? Are there any preventive measures? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rosacea Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to healthcare magic, 1. Cure of Rosacea depends on the stage. If it is a very early stage it can be cured by medicines. However your skin will always be very sensitive and if preventive measures like avoiding sunlight, spicy food, hot beverages, alcohol etc are not followed there is always a chance of recurrence. In my experience almost all patients have a minimal redness persisting after treatment. 2. Extra facial lesions of rosacea are possible, but rare. It is usually seen over upper limbs and lower limbs and are similar to rosacea with redness/papules/pustules. However because it is very rare, possibility of it being something else is more. 3. There are no specific preventive measures for ocular rosacea. The same precautionary measures for facial rosacea has to be followed. Hope this helped, Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Johny Chacko 4 hours later
Thank you very much for the answer. Could you also tell me how I can understand whether I have rosacea on the eyes? What are the main symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Ocular rosacea Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back, Ocular rosacea can have several presentations. The common symptoms are feeling of dryness, irritation, foreign body sensation (as if there is sand in your eye), redness, visible blood vessels in the white of the eye, burning sensation, increased tears, sometimes even swelling of eye lids. Hope I have answered your query. Wish you good health. Take care.