Is commercial flight safe for heart patients?

Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Is commercial flight safe for heart patients? Three hour flight?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 19 minutes later

In general, yes, commercial flights are safe for heart patients. Air travel does not pose great risks to most patients with heart disease. But there are some situation where flying is not allowed and these heart patients need to avoid flying, at least temporarily, because of the increased risk posed by being confined to a high-altitude (and therefore low-oxygen) compartment. (Airplane cabins are pressurized to the equivalent of approximately 10,000 feet above sea level.)

The situations where flying is to be avoided are,
-     At least for 1week after heart attack or angioplasty.
-     For 2-3weeks after bypass surgery.
-     Patient with uncontrolled heart failure requiring oxygen and those with uncontrolled arrhythmia or angina.

For most other patients it is safe to take commercial flight as passenger. Looking at your description it looks fine to fly. However, if you have any specific questions do get back to me.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 17 days later
How can you tell if you have well controlled and stable heart failure? Can people with heart failure be passengers on a commercial airplane?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 18 hours later
It should be best decided by your doctor. But rough guide is if you have No major breathing difficulty, that you are able to sleep for about 6hrs without become breathless, do activities of daily living such as walking around home, taking bath, making bed, dressing up oself and eat without any major difficulty.
Also if you are comfortable and there is day to day changes in your effort tolerance remains constant also says your heart failure controlled. But as started It should be done in close consultation with doctor.

Yes lots of people with heart failure are and can be passenger in commercial flight
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 4 hours later
Is L-carinite safe for people with heart failure ?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 29 hours later
Yes, it is in fact medicine believed to have some metabolic modulation and that will make heart use energy efficiently.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 3 hours later
Is taurine safe for heart failure patients?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 5 hours later
This not being proprietary cardiac medicine, I will not be able to answer this question. Probably gastroenterologist should be able to help you.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 7 hours later
Are Cardiac stemcell treatments to repair cardiac damage the future of cardiology? Also I saw on the Lancet that such treatments are being researched and executed today. Will this treatment improve quality of life in heart failure patients soon ?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 hours later

Yes, it is likely to become future of treatment of many diseases including heart failure. However, timelines are difficult to predict. Though the thought and capability has been there with basic science scientist and clinician for long time, we still do not have a predictable and consistent result and not definitely outside research protocol. That leaves many questions unanswered such as, when will it come to clinical practice, which subset of heart failure patients are going to be benefited and what are the likely side effects etc. It could at least be a decade before we could have it as a routine, unless some comes with really great idea that is currently not known to us. When it happens, it is likely to improve quality of life.

Thank you

Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 4 days later
Is it safe to take tumeric with carvedilol? Also is it safe to take cayenne pepper with it? And Hawthorne ?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
I should first confess that I am not speciliast in these non allopathic medicines and nor would there be enough data to support recommendeation. But however with what information available it should be safe to take Tumeric and Cayenne Pepper, however as there little if any benefit of Hawthorne use in CHF thats proven and there possible multiple interaction with many HF medicines its better to avoid it.
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 1 hour later
Is is safe to take l carnitine with carvedilol ? And L-arginine and fish oil with carvedilol?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 9 hours later

Yes, it is safe.

Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 2 days later
Does the heart always enlarge in heart failure ? Or can it remain a normal size and still fail? Also can heart failure occur without athersosclerosis?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 4 days later
Heart need not always enlarge to fail there will be many situations where heart can be normal sized and still fail.
Yes atherosclerosis contributes relatively small portion of heart failure. Heart failure most common cause is hypertension and can also occur in valvular heart disease, anemia, and multiple other conditions.