• question-icon

Is combo test done post 8 weeks of exposure conclusive?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have unprotected vaginal sex 2 months ago. after a week, I have bitter tongue, temperature of 99.5 and persistent headache till now and pressure in eyes. I did antibody test at 4th week and Pcr at 6th week and combo test at 8th week. all came negative. but I m still scared due to persistent symptoms as mentioned above. I will test again at 12th week. but, still want to know what are the chances that 8 week negetive can become positive after 12 week.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The chances are very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Avysek,

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your query and understand the concerns you are worried for.

You had unprotected vaginal sex before 2 months but the antibody test at 4 weeks, PCR at 6 weeks and combo test at 8 weeks all are negative then no need to get scared as you are absolutely risk free.

You have to go for repeat test after 12 weeks just as routine protocol but the chances of being false positive after 8 weeks are very unlikely because all the tests are highly reliable and accurate.

Your symptoms are due to some other infection so consult physician to isolate the cause and follow the treatment regime. Be relaxed and allay the fear or anxiety related to HIV as you are safe.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 16 minutes later
thanks doctor. ..I also believe the same. the worrying thing is my symptoms mentioned above I. e bitter tongue at morning and headache and 99.5 temperature is continuing for straight 7 weeks. never had this before. plus eye pressure. any suggestions what could be causing this
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to some other viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Avysek,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

The bitter tongue with headache and fever may be due to common seasonal viral infection so no need to worry for that. Consult your physician to isolate the cause and he will take care of it further. Follow the treatment regime and you will be fine soon.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 6 minutes later
thanks doctor. .just to mention. .few weeks before I was diagnosed with chronic mastoiditis and chronic otitis media. but I was wondering how can a ear infection be linked to bitter tongue and headache and pressure in eyes without pain in affected ear. do you find any interrelationships between all these.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be related to headache and pressure in the eyes.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Avysek,

Welcome back once again.

Chronic mastoiditis and chronic otitis media might be related to headache and pressure in the eyes so you can consult ENT surgeon and get the opinion for further management but nothing to worry much

If still any doubt left in your mind you can write to me and I will answer you straight way. Be relaxed and move ahead in life. Stay happy and healthy.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist