Is combination of amlodipine and atenolol effective in treating high BP?

Cardiologist
Question
I have been taking amlodipine / atenolol 50-5 combination for almost 7 years now. I am 35 years old.. For high BP. My BP is normal and every things fine. But heard from some people that it's not good to have this combination for long term.. Can have some side effects and have ED problems as well. I am perfectly Alrite till day. Can you please advise, should I just continue or better to change?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
1. The two drugs belong to two well established groups of BP lowering medications. Amlodipine is used extensively all over world. It is a very well established drug with good results. Atenolol along with other beta-blockers have got some bad name in last one decade and is not considered first line drug by many authorities.
2. Each of the drugs used for lowering BP have some side effects which occur in less than 1 to 4-5% of users. They do not occur in all individuals. Atenolol may be associated with ED, nightmares, diabetes, deranged lipid profile etc. However ED is otherwise more common in hypertensives. Amlodipine has its own side effects like headache, swelling feet , taste disturbance, gum swelling etc.
3. If you find the drugs working fine for you, there is no urgency to change them. You can consult your physician about his choice and preference. I do prefer ACE inhibitors/ ARBs over atenolol in my practice. However ACEI/ ARBs have their own side effects and precautions.
Best way out is to have a detailed chat with your physician and decide accordingly.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: Is combination of amlodipine and atenolol effective in treating high BP? 7 minutes later
Can you suggest me an alternative safer with min sideeffects, my cholestrol is not balanced, might be cos of atenolol, any other better combination with amlodipine

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can not give prescription sir.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir
As I narrated before, I prefer ACE inhibitors or ARBs in my practice along with amlodipine. However a prescription is forbidden under rules of website. You have to consult your physician for the prescription. He will get certain tests before he start these drugs which include serum creatinine and serum potassium he may chose to get an ultrasound of kidneys too. After his satisfaction he may start these medicines.
Yes, Atenolol may be associated with some cholesterol issue.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder