Is clear mucous discharge from anus indicative of rectal cancer?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Colon Cancer
Question: Is a clear mucous discharge from your anus a sign of rectal cancer?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.
Mucous is not typical sign of colon rectal cancer, especially not after colostomy. since after colostomy there is still production of mucous and other excretions in remnant rectal mucosa and this is normally seen in these patients. But mucous mixed with blood may be sign of disease recurencealthough it can also be seen after radiation and because of some benign causes.
WIsh you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 5 hours later
The clear mucous discharge was happening 3 years prior to my colonoscopy and colostomy, could this be a sign of colon cancer?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
not likely

Detailed Answer:
Before colostomy ,mucous in stool may raise suspicion of cancer but after colostomy this is commonly seen and in general this is not sign of cancer but you should have regular colonoscopy atleast once a year .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon