Is chronic diarrhea a symptom of pancreatic cancer?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I'm really really scared. For 5 weeks I have had yellow stools which have become looser as times gone on, now it is yellow diahorrea. I've been experiencing crampy pain in upper right quadrant spreading to back, middle of abdomen and on occasion the left upper quadrant. I have a decreased appetite, lost some weight and am terrified its pancreatic cancer. I'm searching everywhere desperately looking for answers but nobody is helping. I had liver function tests which are normal, amylase is normal, no infection or inflammation on blood work. My stools also seem oily. I am being told that everything points to gallstones or gallbladder issue but I had an abdominal ultrasound six months ago which showed no gallstones. Please offer me some other possible causes of my symptoms, I'm desperate and going out of my mind with worry.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
IBS

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Pancreatic cancer is overrated and i can assure you its not that. Your symptoms of chronic diarrhea and upper gastric pain are likely attributed to bowel functional issues like irritable bowel syndrome. had it been due to gallstones, it would have shown up on abdominal ultrasounds. Also gallstones rarely give diarrhea.

Nutshell, i strongly suspect it to be irritable bowel syndrome and it needs just diet and lifestyle modifications. Eat small frequent meals, avoid spicy, fatty foods, processed & canned foods, soda, beverages, alcohol, coffee etc. Prefer fibers and fruits and vegetables. Take yogurt and peppermint with every meal. See if it helps. Talk to your gastroenterologist and let them help you in this regard.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 50 minutes later
Many thanks, for your reply. I had considered this but in everything I search for I cannot find yellow stools as a symptom of IBS and it came on rather quickly and my stools became yellow before the diahorrea by quite a few weeks? It just seems to fit the symptoms of PC , with no change of diet why would my stools become yellow and still formed at first for a few weeks? They are still yellow now. Even with some bowel movements there are formed stools and still very yellow. I really am in panic about this and I find it hard to believe that yellow stools could be down to IBS? Are there other possibilities? Thanks

Can someone please help

I have subscribed and paid for this service and nobody will help me!!!
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS, yellow color is normal and due to bilirubin.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

Yellow color of stools is due to the end products of bilirubin and is no worries and yes irritable bowel syndrome can give you yellowish loose stools alternating in nature. Your symptoms are a perfect match for IBS and just needs supportive and dietary care. Talk to a dietitian and let them devise a complete dietary plan for your IBS. She is available with us on website as well.

I hope it helps.
Khan