Is chiropractic an option for pain in rib cage

Dr. Chander Mohan Singh

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have burning, radiating pain in my right shoulder which goes as low as the waist and around into my right breast. Simultaneously, my forearms go cold and tingly. The pain occurs when I stand up in the morning from bed and lasts most of the day until the ibuprofen kicks in. It is pain on a scale of 8, I'd say.

One of your doctors said it is caused by a cervical rib, which I indeed have, but my internist doesn't believe that a C6 cervical rib would cause pain so low down in my right rib cage. What do you think? He has prescribed a nerve calming med which I will take and see what happens.

Is chiropractic an option? I do know that my spine has many anomalies and misalignments.
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get MRI scan done

Detailed Answer:

From your history I want to advise you to get MRI scan of cervical spine and xray of right shoulder AP view to get every thing crystal clear.

It will tell about any cervical rib or present condition of your vertebrae, cervical discs and nerves.

No need to go to any chiropracter.

Do shoulder shrugging and static cervical spine exercises only once pain subsides.

Take pregabalin, painkiller and muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside by prescription from your local doctor.

Avoid lifting, pulling, pushing of heavy weight.

I hope it helps.

Thanks.

Dr.Singh.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D