Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Is chiropractic an option for pain in rib cage

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1041 Questions
I have burning, radiating pain in my right shoulder which goes as low as the waist and around into my right breast. Simultaneously, my forearms go cold and tingly. The pain occurs when I stand up in the morning from bed and lasts most of the day until the ibuprofen kicks in. It is pain on a scale of 8, I'd say.

One of your doctors said it is caused by a cervical rib, which I indeed have, but my internist doesn't believe that a C6 cervical rib would cause pain so low down in my right rib cage. What do you think? He has prescribed a nerve calming med which I will take and see what happens.

Is chiropractic an option? I do know that my spine has many anomalies and misalignments.
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get MRI scan done

Detailed Answer:

From your history I want to advise you to get MRI scan of cervical spine and xray of right shoulder AP view to get every thing crystal clear.

It will tell about any cervical rib or present condition of your vertebrae, cervical discs and nerves.

No need to go to any chiropracter.

Do shoulder shrugging and static cervical spine exercises only once pain subsides.

Take pregabalin, painkiller and muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside by prescription from your local doctor.

Avoid lifting, pulling, pushing of heavy weight.

I hope it helps.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor