• question-icon

Is chest pain in an elderly person caused by viral infection?

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in Heart Attack
Question: I have a 92 year old female with pain in middle of chest. Her blood pressure was 111/54 and 91% oxygen
She has had a viral cold for the last couple of weeks; We have a doc appt. tomorrow. Should I take her to the emergency room?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes if it's ongoing then you should

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you I would like to tell you that central chest pain at any age needs a proper evaluation to rule out any life threatening condition especially the cardiac ones like cardiac ischeamia which can lead to a heart attack.

So it's advisable that you should take her to an ER for urgent evaluation as she will be requiring few tests to be done like ECG, Echocardiography and some blood tests.

So instead of waiting till tomorrow it's better to go to ER now.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist