Is chemotherapy necessary for treating metastatic squimas cell carcinoma?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Cancer
Question: I have been diagnosed with a metastatic squimas cell carcinoma? The recommendation is IMRT radiation in the area where the lymph node was biopsied, inside of right leg just below the groin. I have had a PT scan showing no cancer, have had a rectal exam that is clear also a cervix exam that is clear. My question is chemo is recommended as well. xeido (sp) and erbitux(sp). I don't want to do chemo just radiation. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Chemoradiation is optimal.

Detailed Answer:

It appears that you had squamous cell carcinoma of skin of lower limb and now it has metastasized to the lymph node of the groin.

This has been removed surgically.

In this scenario, radiotherapy is definitely required. Chemotherapy is less clearly defined but is used in most cases to enhance the control rate.

Usually it is cisplatin with or without fluorouracil/capecitabine.

Most of the time it is well tolerated. Erbitux is not approved in this setting, so I would not consider that.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 47 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I'm scared to death about Erbitux but I will check out your other recommendations. I trust my Oncologist as well but value a second opinion. I also had an appointment with another skin cancer PA he also recommended radition/oncology
XXXXXXX Hoffman
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Sure

Detailed Answer:

You are most welcome to come back and ask if there's any further query.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Indranil Ghosh, Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee