Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Is cephalexin prescribed for urinary tract infections ?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 3274 Questions
Is cephalexin prescribed for urinary tract infections ?
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes but not the greatest choice...

Detailed Answer:

cephalexin can be used for urinary tract infections caused by susceptible bacteria (Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Proteus mirabilis and others) but it's not a common choice among physicians. 500mg (or higher when necessary) orally every 12 hours is the right dosage.

Antibiotic choice for a urinary tract infection depends on whether it's an upper or lower tract infection and other factors from the patient's history like recent exposure to antibiotics, allergies, culture results, etc. Quinolones are top choices regarding efficiency but they're better left for the more serious cases. For lower tract infections nitrofurantoin is a great choice for most patients. Cephalosporins can - of course - be used for both upper and lower tract infections.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor