• question-icon

Is cement therapy advisable when diagnosed with vertebral fracture?

Posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi my dad diagnosed with d 12 fracture . he is 72 year old. Doctor advised two options one through normal process and one through ballon injuction with cement therapy..
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It depends on pain you are having

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Vertebral fracture improves with rest. There is no need to cement therapy. Because this cement gives you pain relief. So if you are having unbearable pain then you can plan for this. This is called Vertebroplasty. I personally do not used this in my patients as there is chances of allergic reaction or nerve compression. I have following suggestions for you,
1.Tablet Etoricoxib 90 mg or tramadol for pain relief.
2.Injection Teriparatide daily for three months. It is a hormone therapy and it gives very good pain relief. it is cheap then Vertebroplasty and you can take this at home.
3.Calcium and vitamin D daily.
4.Bed rest, avoid walking unless necessary. Avoid jerky activity or travelling.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 8 minutes later
He is also an artritis pateint. with old d5 and d7 collapse. we dont have money to afford this operation. Also this is advised by neuro surgeon after refered by ortho doctor.Ortho also advise some support to wear forgot the name. also how much time to recover..Post rehabilitatiin chances or process
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX brace can help

Detailed Answer:
There is no need of surgery XXXXXXX brace can be wear during sitting. As I told you it takes some time to recover. it can be from one to one and half months. After fifteen to thirty days he can sit and walk. He need to avoid forward bending or weight lifting. He should also avoid jerky activities.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 12 minutes later
Can i contact you personally.. just to add the name was khymo something for surgery.. His pain has reduced after taking bed rest at hospital and pain killer.. Thanks for your advice

Also to add it has 50% compression
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Personal contact is not possible

Detailed Answer:
hello,
Sorry but i think personal contact is not possible according to rules of the websites. Surgery is called kyphoplasty or vertebroplasty. It is useless and I never recommend it to my patients. Even 50 percent compression is not a thing to be worried about.
thanks
Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement