Is canker sore infection possible on the tonsils?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Can you get a canker sore on your tonsils?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes they can occur at tonsils

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had been experiencing lately. As far as your query is concerned, yes these may occur at tonsils.

Based on the history and picture you have shared it can be canker or aphthus ulcer. Usually it resolves at its own but if it remains for more than two weeks it may need detailed examination by an oral physician and may need culture swabs and blood work up.

Usually causes vary from food allergies, local trauma due to tooth brushes or drug allergies or to some agents like nickel in foods or tooth pastes however causes can also be infective as in fungal infections and some other conditions so needs to be worked out with biopsy if painless and if stays longer than a month. Hope it will not reach to that verge.

If it pains then you can use local anesthetic oral ointments or soda glycerine and keep good hydration with fluids avoiding corrosive or high acid containing drinks like soda drinks etc.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj