Is burning urination needs attention?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Thank you, I'am having pain during urination & wondering if I should make a Dr appointment on Monday? I have been pushing fluids but it hasn't helped much.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Yes, you should see your doctor, but I am concerned about your symptoms and wondering if the benefits to risks of going in to the urgent care might be worth it.

Pain with urination is usually due to a bladder infection, particularly if it just started. It can be from other things as well, such as stones, and from urethritis from decreased estrogen and from superficial infections.

In young women who are not pregnant, it is usually safe to try to get over a bladder infection without an antibiotic, but if there is any flank pain, nausea, or fever, then there is no choice as the bacteria has gone up into the kidneys.

As we get older, there is more risk of complications if a bladder infection is untreated.

You can use over the counter AZO for pain, but if it gets worse in any way, you must go in to be seen now. Also, many people find benefit from cranberry juice (without the sugar) or capsules/powder.

If you go in to the urgent care, I have 2 recommendations:
1. Ask at registration to be seen by a real physician, not a physician's assistant (PA) or nurse practitioner (NP).
2. Don't touch your eyes,nose, or mouth until after you have come back home and thoroughly (at least 1 minute) washed your hands. Also, wipe your phone or other things you may have used while you were out, with alcohol. I am suggesting these precautions because influenza is going around and you don't want to pick it up. Main way you can get it there is by touching a surface (pen, clip board, arm of chair, exam table, magazine, door handle,etc) and then touching your eyes or nose.

I hope this information helps.