Is bruising after pacemaker implantation normal?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 7 Oct 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My mother, 92 years old, had a pacemaker implanted on Wednesday. She was released from hospital yesterday, Friday. Today she has bruising starting from the implantation site around the arm pit and under her brest almost all the way to the nipple, is this normal. She does not have any pain
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, this is not normal!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your mom has been through and the current bruises. I have reviewed the image fully and this is not normal. I think she is bruising easily than should be the case. Is your mom on blood thinners? If so, I will suggest that the numbers should be checked to make sure that she is not being too over anticoagulated. If this bruising should extend further, please call the hospital and hear what they say. Were there any traces of this bruise before she left the hospital?

In all, it is not normal. If she is on blood thinners, then the numbers need to be checked to make sure she is not above the desired range. Any further increase in the size of this bruise should prompt immediate medical attention.

I hope this helps. I wish your mom well. Thank you so much for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.