Is brown and yellow discolored stool a matter of concern while under a lot of stress and anxiety?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been under a lot of stress and anxiety the last couple weeks. One thing I have noticed is a light brown/yellowish color of my stool. This even gives me more anxiety. It’s not all the time but relatively frequent in last few weeks. It’s soft but in solid chunks. I’m also not sleeping very well at all with stress.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to stimulation of autonomous nervous system.

Detailed Answer:

The liver secretes a pigment called bile. During the process of digestion, the bile is broken into stercobilinogen pigment which imparts color to the stool.
When a person has high levels of anxiety or stress, the autonomous nervous system is stimulated causing an increase in the rate of peristalsis of the intestines. Hence, the bile passes through the intestine fast and is not properly broken down therefore the color of the stool may be light.

I would suggest you to get a prescription for anti-anxiety medication like Petril for a few days. As your anxiety levels go back to normal, your stool would return to its normal color.

Hope I was helpful. Feel free to follow up.

Thank you.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar
Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 32 minutes later
It’s not diahrrea but definitely on softer side. I can sometimes see little bit of undigested food in there too. Sometimes sinks and sometimes float. Is that all in line from your first recommendation?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:

Obviously yes, when the rate of peristalsis of the intestine increases, food will remain undigested and the absorption of water would not be full, hence symptoms would be there.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar
Gastroenterologist
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 35 minutes later
What can I take or eat to help slow down my digestion?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:.

Take any anti-anxiety pill like Etizolam but if you can't get a prescription then try Lactium (natural stress reducer).

Hope I have answered your query.

Thank you.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar
Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T