Is bright red blood in stool due to braces worn for idiopathic scoliosis by a 4-year-old?
Thoughts on this
Bright red blood that is actually mixed in to the stool means there is bleeding within the gastrointestinal tract, and usually if it is red, from somewhere lower than the stomach because the acid in the stomach turns blood that is from the esophagus or stomach to a black tarry color (although if there is a lot of blood, it can still be from the stomach).
In a young child, usually blood in the stool is actually on the outside of the stool from a small rectal tear from a hard bowel movement. Usually there is some irritation or discomfort when wiping if this happened. However, I don't know all of your daughter's health issues so I can't say for sure, but it would be unlikely to be from the brace.
If she didn't have a hard/large bowel movement and if the blood was in the stool, rather than on the outside of the stool and the toilet paper, then she should be seen by her doctor or the A and E.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for protruding belly due to scoliosis
- Back braces for scoliosis
- Pain in collar bone due to scoliosis
- Blood in urine after scoliosis surgery
- Red face and scoliosis
- Painful red spot on back scoliosis
- Blood in stool related to scoliosis
- Eliminate back aches due to scoliosis
- Red marks on back scoliosis
- Tingling due to scoliosis
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis