Is breast plate procedure related to lung collapse?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Question: 15 year old male w/collapsed lung /1st time/ 2-3 months after surgery to lift breast plate with curved rod procedure. 2ed time different lung 6 weeks after surgery to repair 1st collapsed lung. His doctor referenced rupture of Blips or blepes. Could the breast plate proceedure be related to the lung Collapses? What are other possiable causes? What's chance of reoccurance? What are precautions during 6 month recovery? Will patient experience diminished lung capicity?
Answered by Dr. Arun 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lung collapse is common but self limiting Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. 1) Lung collapse due to pneumothorax as mentioned by your doc as rupture of blebs can occur very often following any chest surgery. When the chest cavity is opened small amount of air enters from outside or from the lungs to the space between lungs and rib cage causing lung collapse. 2) It can happen due to other causes like emphysematous lung , in patients with asthma etc. 3) Usually it takes 6 to 8 weeks for complete recovery. You need bed rest with breathing exercises to help in healing example blowing balloons 4) Recurrences do happen if the chest wall is opened again in some other surgery or injury. Spontaneous recurrences only happen if your lung is problematic like in emphysema or asthma. 5) Lung capacity does decrease but as long as you take rest and perform breathing exercises it should get better soon. Wishing you great health Regards Dr Arun