Is breast feeding advisable with a pus filled bump on right nipple?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Doctor
My Wife is infected with chicken pox from yesterday but detected Today. My baby is 7 months old and takes breast feed. she has some pus on her right nipple.Is it safe to continue breast feed . Also is there is any chances of transmission of chicken pox to the Kid
Thanks
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Divakara 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
High chance of transmission.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings from Dr Divakara P.

Well definitely the breast feeding has to be stopped for 5-7 days. I presume that your baby has been started on other feeds apart from breast milk. Chicken pox is a highly contagious disease and can spread by mere contact with infected person . It can also spread through breast feeding.

Infected person is contagious 1 day before the detection of the disease till the lesions crust. So there is high chance that your baby may be at risk of contacting chickenpox.

I recommend you to consult a pediatrician and get a prophylactic ( preventive medication ) treatment for chickenpox for your child.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina