Is brain biopsy required for a patient who is in coma?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 22 Oct 2014 in General Health
Question: My cousin who has type 1 diabetes, An amputee (due to gangrene) doesn't take care of his health is also addicted to meth. He's been in a coma for two weeks now. He has involuntary movement of his arms and legs but does not respond to stimuli. Doctors are considering a brain biopsy. Doctors have not been told about his addiction to meth. Is this something they should know to help aid in his care? All his vitals are good but doctors can't figure out why he isn't waking up. They also treated him for meningitis but said because there is no marked improvement it is not likely he has meningitis.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes they should know

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

Its always better that you let your doctor know all the details. Use of meth and other drugs of abuse predispose a patient to may different complications which can lead to such a state. It coule be a brain embolus or a endocarditis comolication or complication due to lower immunity or tuberculosis. Further the medicines used also need dose correction depending upon whether the patient was abusing any substance.
Also they may plan regarding the rehabilitation as well ones he improves from the current state.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T