Is bowel preparation necessary prior to a laparoscopic hysterectomy and salpingectomy?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I am scheduled to have laparoscopic hysterectomy/oophorectomy/salpingectomy in 5 days. The nursing staff at pre-op testing told me no bowel prep was necessary. I am having difficulty thinking this is safe.
Every gynecological source I consulted said the equivalent of:"It is a given that the bowel has to be adequately prepared prior to every laparoscopic surgery as an insurance against fecal contamination in the event of an injury. " (J Obs Gyn XXXXXXX 2012 Oct).
This dissonance between instructions and sources frightens me. Why would pre-op bowel cleansing be ignored?
Should I take matters into my own hands and purchase some bowel prep from the drug store?
Is this a trade-off between better recovery in most surgeries versus high chance of death in the unlikely event of a bowel perforation?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need usually

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
I understand your health concerns and anxiety related to the same.
There is nothing to worry and many surgeons don't need bowel preparation especially in laparoscopic surgeries.
At the XXXXXXX that you need is to take light meals a day before surgery and reach there empty stomach whenever called.
There is no fecal contamination at all if the surgeon is good and has expertise as fecal matter is not released till there is gut injury so no chance of it.
Just relax and have full faith in your doctor.
All the best.
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
In the interim I found a discussion about findings showing exactly what you just said, that the bowel prep is not needed, and even can have bad results such as renal failure (presumably very rare, but then, so is bowel perforation.)
Thank you so much for replying. Relaxing and having faith is not easy for me, but I am trying.
Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a significant incidence

Detailed Answer:
I totally understand mam, these fears are bound to occur but then internet sites who elaborate the complications are also supposed to mention each and everything that has been there in the past with any patient all around the world.
So they mention the possibility of various complications but the incidence of these complications is really really less and rather almost insignificant.
This way in case you study about hysterectomy on internet you will see hundreds of problems that people had during and after the procedure but those things are not seen in all the patients.
Most of the times it us a very safe surgery with no major complications so just relax and go with the flow.
Wish all the best and good recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad