Is bottle or spoon feeding better for a newborn?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Child Health
Question: Bottle feeding or spoon feeding which is better for one month old baby and why???
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spoon feeding is better than bottle feed

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on this platform,

Breastfeed is the best for baby.

If you are giving formula feed or mixed feed (formula-feed and breastfeed both) spoon feeding is better and bottle feed should be avoided.

The problem with bottle feeding is a high chance of infection if proper care is not taken for hygiene.

The improperly cleaned bottle may harbor bacteria. There should be at least 3-4 bottles and it should be preboiled before each feed. The nipple of the bottle should be changed at frequent interval may be at 15-20 days(prolonged use may cause an increase in the size of the hole at Nipple tip).

Bottle feeding may cause Nipple confusion if you are giving mixed feed. Baby finds it easy to suck through the artificial nipple and may get confused between the two. Due to confusion baby may bite the nipple and this may cause sore nipple.

With Katori spoon feed you can avoid nipple confusion. But here also you have to maintain proper hygiene(cleaning Katori, the spoon is easier).

The only problem with Katori spoon is that it's time taking and spillage is comparatively more if not fed properly.

Bottle feed can be given if the baby is not mixed fed and proper hygiene is ensured.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 15 hours later
As top milk what we can prefe XXXXXXX or lactogen powder ??r
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Formula feed is preferred over XXXXXXX or cows milk

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for follow up
XXXXXXX milk contains more fat and protein in comparison to human milk. Cow milk contains protein which may cause allergy. So cow or XXXXXXX milk should not be given to babies below one year of age.
Any approved formula milk is close to human milk in term of calorie, protein or other constituent. So formula milk (lactogen is one brand) is preferred.