Is blood sugar level of 550 mg/dl a cause for concern?
You should call 911 and go to the emergency room immediately. Such high blood glucoses are life threatening and require intensive care in ICU, particularly if 'ketones' are positive in the blood.
Ketones indicate the likelihood of DKA (Diabetic Keto Acidosis) or HHS (Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic State) which are both complications of running high sugars.
These must treated right away in the hospital with Insulin and hydration while continuously monitoring vital lab tests like bicarbonate, potassium and creatinine
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- 40mg/dl blood urea nitrogen level
- Is a blood sugar count of 119 mg dl normal
- Blood sugar of 580 is this the cause for concern
- My fasting blood sugar is 122 mg dl am i a diabetic
- Cause high blood sugar level
- My fasting blood sugar is 122 mg dl am i a
- My fasting blood sugar is 124mg dl dl a diabetic
- Fasting and pp blood sugar testing done cause of concern
- My fasting blood sugar is 122 mg dl dl a diabetic
- What causes increase in fasting blood sugar level