question-icon

Is blood sugar level of 210 a cause for concern?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016
Question: WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY BLOOD SUGAR IS 210 ? thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
may need medication adjustment, additional med and change in diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

As a diabetic the premeals and fasting are suppose to be between 70 to 130.

Your 2 hour post meals are suppose to be less than 180.

Your bed time readings should be between 90 to 150.

Though 210 is above all of these goals, it is not at a level that would be considered immediately dangerous to you.

It does indicate that your control needs to be tightened but not as an emergency.

If your metformin is not at the maximum dose, it can be increased. The maximum metformin is 3g a day total.
If you are using less than this then your doctor and yourself can increase the dose if this can be tolerated (some persons have GI upset).

If you cannot tolerate an increase then medication can be added to your current dose.

In addition to medication, you would need to look at diet and activity. In terms of diet, it is carbs that raise the blood sugar mainly so if you can reduce your use, your blood sugar should respond.
This would be rice, pasta, bread, biscuits, carbonated drinks, some juices.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James